Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Media for Children


After completing a class at Auburn University called Media for Children, I realized how extensive a child's library can and should be. The importance of reading and quality literature in a child's life continues to show itseld more and more. Children who read on a regular basis are proven to be more intellectual and have the ability to think more critically. The American Library Association selects a few books yearly to be awarded as winners. You may or may not agree with some of the choices, but these books are Newberry Award Winners, Coretta Scott King award winners, Caldecott winners, and many others. Personally, I believe that each child is different and is going to have differing opinions on those books they consider stellar and those they hate. I recently did a project the required me to read fifteen children's books and critique them. As I was doing this, I found bokos that I think will be excellent choices to have in my classroom and encourage my students to read. This is a list of the books that I recommend for classrooms and libraries around the country because they stimulate student's thinking and often leave them with an encouraging message.
Hondo and Fabian, written and illstrated by Peter McCarty. This book demonstrates to children that every person is different and likes to have their own adventures.
Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy, by David Soman and Jacky Davis. I really love this book because it shows how important it is to include others. The children in the book really use their imaginations to play together.
Penny from Heaven, by Jennifer L. Holm. This book is about a family who was wealthy and suddenly lost everything the owned and had to make changes and move across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment